Washington (GGM) Analysis | April 18, 2021 by Sarah J. Kings
You love your precious pug like a family member. But as you tiptoe towards greener choices, you may be wondering what effect dog ownership has on the planet. According to researchers at the University of California, an estimated 80 million dogs live in US homes today. On an annual basis, these animal companions consume as much meat and grain as nearly 40 million Americans. This alone packs a pretty big punch to the planet.
Add in the fact that most dog waste is removed using single used plastic bags, and many chewed up dog toys end up in landfills, and things start to look pretty bleak. What can be done? It’s not as if you are going to part with your sweet Schnauzer.
ENTERTAINMENT & CLIMATE ACTION MESSAGING:
“Dr. Mindy, can I be vulnerable in your car?” | Don’t Look Up
Leonardo DiCaprio Pours His Money into His Passion
Don’t Look Up’s Gorilla In the Room
Heart of the matter and what you can do about it. There are three easy and accessible changes you can make to dramatically lower your beloved pet’s carbon pawprint. The biggest impact you can make in reducing your dog’s contribution to CO2 production is eliminating meat from their diet. But can Fido really live without chicken and beef? The answer is yes, and quite happily! In switching to V-Dog vegan dog food brand, you will save a significant amount of land, energy, and water. For example, it takes approximately three acres of land to feed each meat-eating dog per year. In contrast, it only takes ⅙ of an acre to feed a V-Dog for the year!
Additionally, ditching single-use plastic waste bags will also a big impact. Try Moonygreen bags. They are 100% biodegradable, and being that they are made from plants, they are even compostable! As a plus, they are extremely affordable; you can purchase 120 bags for about $15. Lastly, making DIY dog toys out of reused and repurposed materials like old clothes or rags will also cut down on your pup’s contribution to landfill waste.
- 80 million plus dogs live in US homes today
- Traditional dog food is producing the same amount of CO2 emissions as food for 40 million people. Reduce your dog’s contribution to CO2 production by switching to V-Dog Brand dog food
- It takes three acres of land to feed each meat-eating dog per year. It only takes ⅙ of an acre to feed a V-Dog for the year
- Moonygreen bags waste bags are 100% biodegradable and compostable
- Use an old tee shirt to create an eco-friendly dog toy and cut down on plastic piling up in landfills!
© Copyright 2018 – 2021. ALL Rights Reserved.