Washington (Gallant Gold Media Hill Report | Analysis | May 29, 2019) – With only an hours prior notice, at 11:00 AM this morning, Special Counsel Robert Mueller spoke directly to the American public, providing a brief ten minute official statement about his investigation and final report. The first several minutes of Mueller’s briefing was riddled with audio difficulties, but it appears he was walking us through the timeline of events which were all documented in his report, as well as shared with the public along the way through his investigation. It doesn’t seem that we missed too much in the muted first few minutes. The only question really then, is what caused the audio disruption. Foreign hackers perhaps, maybe GOP obstructionists, or a technical fluke.
“Now I hope and expect this to be the only time that I will speak to you in this manner. I am making that decision myself.” ~ Robert Mueller, May 29, 2019
Mueller made several significant clarifications that are noteworthy in light of the current public debate about Mueller’s Investigation and Report, particularly the GOP’s current investigation of the investigators.
- Special Counsel’s office falls under the Department of Justice and is thus required to follow DOJ policies
- According to DOJ, it’s unconstitutional to charge a US president of a “federal crime” while he’s in office
- (Note that Mueller clearly stated federal crime, which seems to imply that charging the president with state crimes is lawful – hopefully this isn’t wishful thinking)
- Under DOJ, the Special Counsel is explicitly permitted to investigate the president
- Further, the “Constitution requires a process other than the Criminal Justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrong doing”
- Neither Mueller or his investigators will speak beyond the findings released in the Mueller Report. “We chose those words carefully, and the work speaks for itself.”
“The report is my testimony. I would not provide information beyond that which is already public in any appearance before Congress.” ~Robert Mueller, May 29, 2019
Mueller emphasized that the findings contained in the Mueller Report, along with the analysis shared in the 400+ pages, as well as the reasons for the decisions that were made and outlined in the report, and then his statement today, is all he’ll say about it.
In closing, Mueller was emphatic that we pay attention and not lose sight of the central focus of his investigation:
“There were multiple, systematic efforts to interfere in our election. And that allegation deserves the attention of EVERY American. Thank you. Thank you for being here today.” ~Robert Mueller, May 29, 2019
© Copyright 2018 – 2019. ALL Rights Reserved.