Washington (GGM) Analysis | March 19, 2021 by Noreen Wise
With the circular economy now in full swing outside the United States, it becomes that much more clear just how many everyday items cannot be recycled. The reality is alarming. We’ll never reach zero waste unless we find innovative solutions to meet this imperative.
Continue reading “Overhauling Packaging of Consumer Brands | Circular Economy”
Washington (GGM) Analysis | February 13, 2020
by Noreen Wise
With the advent of the global circular economy movement, it soon becomes clear just how many everyday items can’t be recycled. It’s quite alarming. We’ll never reach zero waste unless we find innovative solutions to meet this imperative.
Take plastic, for example. The following plastic packaging/ additional items cannot be recycled:
- plastic single use shopping bags
- plastic film wrap
- frozen food bags (nearly all vegetables are sold in non-recyclable bags)
- cereal box liner
- chip bags
- granola bar, candy bar and nearly all snack items wrappers
- six-pack rings
- plastic hangers
- any plastic containers that can’t be cleaned, ie toothpaste tubes
Back before I was aware that these particular pieces couldn’t be recycled, it was exciting to end the month with an empty kitchen garbage bin. But now that I’m in the know, and I see the waste stack up, I feel maximum frustration. We have to stop, focus and fix.
Thankfully, innovative sustainability companies have done just that. According to Healthy Human, the following are the top sustainable packaging innovations of 2019:
- Loop, Returnity and Share Pack – companies that enable consumers to conveniently return packaging either by dropping off at targeted locations, or sending back in company provided totes
- Plant based packaging – plastics made from plants
- Edible packaging – typically this is seaweed, hopefully they’ll soon find additional alternatives
- Plantable packaging – contains seeds so the packaging can be planted after use
- Compostable plastic alternatives
- Minimal packaging design
- Upcycled or recycled packaging
Sustainable packaging solutions are here. All we need now is to grow demand which will come from our consumer decision making. We simply must be motivated to seek these sustainably packaged products out and use our wallets to influence corporations to switch. If we all refuse to buy particular brands because of the packaging, corporations will soon wise up.
We can DO THIS!~
© Copyright 2018 – 2020. ALL Rights Reserved.